CHEMICAL SUNSCREEN IS TOXIC TO CORAL

Many chemicals in so called ‘chemical sunscreens’ are toxic for coral, especially Oxybenzone (ps for Oxybenzone many alternative names are used). Check our page sunscreen for more info.

As a good alternative, biodegradable, mineral sunscreens including zinc oxide or titanium dioxide that are “non-nano” in size are considered safe. Important to check the ‘’non-nano’’ of these products which explains the particle size. Smaller particles (‘nano’) can be ingested by the coral polyps and are still harmful.

_Go back